Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Let's Start at the Passion

For nearly 28 years (yea, I’m getting old) I’ve been trying to figure out what the heck to do with my life, and I believe I’ve FINALLY figured it out. I feel like it’s taken forever, but a state of pure calm and peace followed by utter fear has set in.

About five years ago I began a graduate program with absolutely no clue as to why or what I was really doing – I was going to get a master of arts in German literature and culture with no intent to ever teach German; but all things happen for a reason. Just before I began my program I “discovered” Black Germans – I’d studied German for nearly eight years and never knew anything about this part of German history or culture.

To make a long story less long, I decided to focus my studies on Afro-Germans and other minority groups within German culture; and as part of my research I read W.E.B. Dubois’ “The Soul of Black Folk” and became enraged at the lack of effort being put into educating African American children in early 20th century. The problem for me was that not much had changed in 100 years – there is still a clear lack of effort in educating African-, Latin- and Native-American students in the United States. I immediately decided that I would add an education program to my course of study and completely change education in America within five years – what can I say, I go big or go home. From there all sorts of amazing opportunities began to fall into the place – the universe and stars were aligning, just as God intended.

Fast forward five years and I have obviously not changed the face of education in this country, but not to worry it’s on the way! I work with an amazing group of people who are all, in one way or another, passionate about helping young people. I’ve been with this organization for 4 ½ years and after all this time I finally get the point – in order to change education in this country it has to be turned “On Its Head”! In the last four years I’ve determined that the system works just as it was intended to and for whom it was intended to work – it doesn’t work for students of color because it wasn’t intended to.

So what does this mean!?! It means that I can no longer stand by or try to change a system that was never intended to work for me or others like me. It means it’s time to create a new system. For as long as I can remember I’ve been enraged by social injustice – it pisses me off when people are discriminated against or discounted because of the color of their skin, their gender or what they believe. It pisses me off young people (and minorities in general) are constantly set up for failure, yet attacked for not living up to the standards of a system that was not intended for their success.

I’ve always been inspired by Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, Jr., Booker T. Washington, W.E.B. Dubois and the countless others who fought, suffered and died for me to have the right to live the life I live today; but the fight isn’t over. I keep getting the feeling that my generation doesn’t have anything to fight for and that’s why the Black community is such a mess, but the truth is that there’s plenty to fight for. While I may not be able to see the fruits of my labor come to pass in my lifetime, I am certain that this fight won’t be in vain.

What am I fighting for? I’m fighting for a system that will allow all students – black, white, green, purple, blue, orange and any other color – the opportunity to learn and be successful. If their system doesn’t work, there’s no need to try to change it – just build a new one. I will be completely honest, I have no clue what this new “system” is supposed to look like but I know there is a need. It’s going to be messy and it’s likely going to take longer than my lifetime to get to, but I have to believe if I, nee WE, light the fire the next generation will pick up the torch and carry it along.

So that’s the passion – to begin building a new system, turning the other on completely “On Its Head” and being the change I want to see in the world.

While your passion may be completely different, I hope this will inspire someone to find their own passion and work diligently towards something greater than themselves. Feel free to tag along on this journey with me #nowjustdoit!


No comments:

Post a Comment